Welcome to the California Department of Aging
The California Department of Aging (CDA) administers programs that serve older adults, adults with disabilities, family caregivers, and residents in long-term care facilities throughout the State. The Department administers funds allocated under the federal Older Americans Act , the Older Californians Act, and through the Medi-Cal program.
The Department contracts with the network of Area Agencies on Aging, who directly manage a wide array of federal and state-funded services that help older adults find employment; support older and disabled individuals to live as independently as possible in the community; promote healthy aging and community involvement; and assist family members in their vital care giving role. CDA also contracts directly with agencies that operate the Multipurpose Senior Services Program through the Medi-Cal home and community-based waiver for the elderly, and certifies Adult Day Health Care centers for the Medi-Cal program.
The Department's mission is to promote the independence and well-being of older adults, adults with disabilities, and families through
- Access to information and services to improve the quality of their lives;
- Opportunities for community involvement; and
- Support for family members providing care.
The opportunity for every Californian to enjoy wellness, longevity and quality-of-life choices within strong, healthy communities.
CDA Core Values
The Department strives to accomplish its Mission in a manner consistent with its Core Values outlined below.
- Leadership: We set the direction for ensuring that strategies, systems, and methods for achieving excellence are created; and for building the knowledge and capabilities of our employees and others who work with our customers.
- Diversity: We work in an inclusive environment that respects the rights of all people, their equal opportunity to succeed, and the contributions they make toward accomplishing our Mission.
- Advocacy: We speak in support of individuals and issues that promote the overall well-being of our customers.
- Accountability: We assume responsibility – individually, and in teams – for our behaviors, actions, and results and for serving our customers in the manner in which they want to be served.
- Quality: Our performance demonstrates a commitment to, and recognition of, excellence, which is the balance of efficiency and effectiveness.
- Innovation: We take initiative by being open and receptive to experimenting with new and creative ideas.
- Collaboration: We foster partnerships and cooperation with our stakeholders, business partners, and customers in planning, delivering, and evaluating programs and services.
- Integrity: We are open, honest, trustworthy, and professional in the performance of our duties and in our dealings with our customers, business partners, and stakeholders.
- Empowerment: We enable individuals to make informed choices that can enrich their lives and support their ability to effectively participate in their communities.
- Respect: We hold our stakeholders, business partners, and customers in the highest esteem, and show due consideration and appreciation in our interactions for their ideas, programs, and services.
Click to increase the text size. Restore Text
Click to restore original text size. Reduce Text
Click to decrease the text size.